Monday, September 28, 2009

The Journey


A Small Step on a Long Journey

There are few topics that most people find more boring than philosophy. They think of dead people who wrote long books. As a result, very few people know what to say when asked, "What is your philosophy of life?" A philosophy of life does not have to be long and boring, but it does have to be helpful to you or it means nothing.
I sat down one day and asked myself this question and realized I had never really answered it. I decided I would write one, but it had to be less than 75 words long. This is what I wrote:
"My philosophy of life is simple. Death is not the opposite of life, it is the opposite of birth. Life is the period in-between and has no opposite. Life is a gift, completely unearned and undeserved. What I do with this gift is incredibly important, even if I'm not sure why."
I am not recommending this, only providing it as an example. You need to write your own. Keep it under 75 words. "Short and sweet" is good. It has to be something you can memorize and remember easily.
Your philosophy of life, whatever it is, will help you understand who you are. So give it careful thought. Write something that fits you. It is a small step, but a good life is a long journey and every journey is made up of small steps.